Writing Personal Essays: Tap Into Your Unique Voice
Mentor with a passionate, professional writer to learn the art of writing an essay.
Whether it's an application essay, or an essay for school, writing an important personal essay for the first (or fortieth!) time can be challenging. Every decision feels weighty, from choosing the topic, to sorting out what to include and what to leave out, all the way to adding final touches with confidence.
- Confidence and perspective about their unique strengths
- Practical skills and strategies to make future essay writing more streamlined and effective
- The can-do optimism that comes from successfully meeting a challenge head-on
- Eight video lessons with hands-on activities that teach youth to choose an idea, structure their essay, and bring it to life with specific, lively language.
- A step-by-step workbook
- An in-depth how-to video lesson on planning, drafting, and polishing an essay during a timed test
- A courage-boosting activity to help youth writers face down their inner critics
- The Independent Study course
- A personalized study plan
- Six weekly 45-minute sessions online via Zoom with a mentor
- Quickly choosing a meaningful topic
- Breaking a topic into three main ideas
- Crafting a thesis statement
- Developing a strong introductory paragraph
- Shaping a body paragraph
- Using concrete, well-chosen examples
- Wrapping up with a memorable conclusion
A mom of a recent fifth grade Inkling said, My fifth grade son is a strong writer, but he struggled to organize essays, and worried especially about completing an essay in a test situation in a short amount of time. In his sessions, he practiced choosing ideas, organizing his thoughts, and revising for flow — in a playful way. In fact, he told me, ‘That was surprisingly fun!’ after the first session. Now, he has built his confidence and improved greatly.
Let's get started!
Is the Independent Study track the right choice for you? Great! Purchase below and you can get started as soon as you like.
Do you prefer the personalized coaching of the mentor-guided track? Purchase below and then watch your email for more instructions on scheduling your six sessions. We have time slots available each weekday afternoon and our mentors are ready and waiting to work with your child. While your sessions are getting scheduled, your writer can get started on the independent study portion of the learning experience so there's no delay.
Author of the From Sadie’s Sketchbook Series and Spilled Ink, the award-winning Inklings Writers’ Notebook, Naomi is passionate about sharing her love of writing and creativity with young writers. Naomi’s background in improvisational and story theatre as well as her arts education work in Chicago, Portland, and the Bay Area has convinced her that creative play is a doorway through which learners can find inspiration and transformative learning experiences.
Naomi loves to play in many ways, but some of her favorites are tap-dancing, sketching, experimenting in the kitchen and tag with her Portuguese Water Dog, Turley. Naomi has a BA in Theatre Arts from Seattle Pacific University and has studied theatre with the Piven Theatre Workshop and ACT. She also has a Masters in Writing for Children and Young Adults from Hamline University.